Sunday, November 07, 2010

Personal Revelation

In this world of difficult and sometimes confusing decisions, I am grateful for divine guidance. Yes, I am grateful for the right to enjoy the marvelous gift of the Holy Ghost that is conferred upon every member of the Church soon after baptism. In fulfillment of the promise the Savior made, “And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever” (John 14:16), I have been blessed with that most wonderful and powerful guidance in my life.

I am grateful for the personal inspiration in the small events of my life as well as when I am confronted with the giant Goliaths of life. Even as the young David, hardly a grown man, volunteered to fight Goliath, knowing that inspiration had brought him to fight, to save Israel. David responded to Goliath's insults proclaiming that he came in the name of the Lord of Hosts, the God of the armies of Israel. He said that all who gathered there would learn the Lord does not save by the sword and the spear, "the battle is the Lord's"  (1 Sam. 17:47). He then threw a rock, a little rock was enough to fell this giant man.

I am grateful that David's living God does not stand mute, uncommunitcative, and silent today. I am grateful we do not have to ask, "Does God love us less than those who were led by prophets of old?" I am grateful that our God knows we need His guidance and instruction just as much as those who lived before. I am grateful God loves us enough to give us the same rights and opportunities.

I am grateful President Joseph Fielding Smith spoke the truth when he said: ‘The Lord not only blesses the men who stand at the head and hold the keys of the kingdom, but he also blesses every faithful individual with the spirit of inspiration’ ” (Roy W. Doxey, Walk with the Lord [1973], 173–74; emphasis in original).

No comments: