Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Who you calling colored?

I received this in an email. The claim was that the author is a black man from Texas. I cannot collaborate this with any other sources but I thought the sentiment was funny yet thought provoking.
When I born, I black,
When I grow up, I black,
When I go in sun, I black,
When I cold, I black,
When I scared, I black,
When I sick, I black,
When I bruise, I black,
And when I die, I still black,

You white folks....
When you born, you PINK,
When you grow up, you WHITE,
When you go in sun, you RED,
When you cold, you BLUE,
When you scared, you YELLOW,
When you sick, you GREEN,
When you bruised, you PURPLE,
And when you die, you GRAY

So who you calling COLORED?
I think it is interesting that human nature tends toward labels. We label everyone with whom we come into contact. Not all these labels are without merit but most have no basis in reality. Instead our prejudices have a firm foundation in ignorance. It is only by overcoming our ignorance that we realize just how unmerited our impressions might have been.

Are we not all brothers and sisters?

4 comments:

GPV said...

Yes we are,brothers and sisters,
even more when we fully realise it.

necrodancer said...

I've not seen this before but am very intrigued...

Nattie said...

I think I am yellow, because I am Asian....or maybe heavily sick with jaundice...hehehhee....

necrodancer said...

I have heard people suggest that Asian peoples are yellow but I've not noticed it myself. I lived in/near Tokyo for a couple years. Growing to love the people there, I often thought myself to be very pale when compared to people of other ethnic origins.