Thursday, November 08, 2012

Patience - more than just consideration


There is nothing as incredible to me as patience. No, not that patience Ive exhibited for others. Many that know me would readily admit that Im not the most patient person in the world. I find the patience others offer every day to be an almost inconceivable gift.

The experience we all have in life is quite demanding and sometimes unforgiving. It is vastly enriched when we are allowed to take it at our own pace. It is quite uncommon to find people who do not allow for others to make it happen at a pace made necessary by personal circumstances. How incredible is that! I am grateful that most people are kind enough to have patience at such times.

Certainly, it is the most dedicated teacher who works with the young people today who has the some of the greatest patience of any. They are there to help children learn how to read, write, add and subtract. No, this patience is not limited to just the start of a childs learning career. All through elementary, middle and secondary schools, one of the finest tools in a teachers bag of tricks is indeed patience. It is through this patience that many thrive, learning not only the basics required to get through their lives but also by example what it takes to be there for others who might need their help. Most teachers are extreme examples of the power of patience, what can be achieved when someone or something is given enough time, attention, or encouragement is exercised reveals only the limit of humankind. I am profoundly grateful for teachers who have been willing to spend the time and personal resources, reaching into the depth of their very being to have the patience to guide me in my life and do the same for my children.

Any parent knows, their patience gets tested time and time again. I am grateful for the strength of their patience. How better to show love than to express patience when a child is trying to learn something new, or relearn something theyve been trying to master. Time is the greatest blessing a parent can give their child. Certainly, in such efforts the grandest ingredient is patience fueled by love. I am grateful for the patience my parents showed toward me throughout my life. Truly, I am sure Ive tested their patience more often than I could even know.

Older Brothers, younger brothers and sisters too, are incredible examples of the power of patience. We have all experienced those times when we've done nothing but test the nerves of those that should be closest to us. The joy that swells when siblings take the time to help each other is wonderful. The friendship and love brothers share is beyond compare. It is all built on a foundation of patience, this is sure. I am grateful for the patience my brothers and sisters have had for me and the choices I've made in life. I am grateful for my daughters and the patience they have for each other, too. The close relationships siblings have is a blessing of great value.

I am grateful for the patience strangers show in every day life. Mistakes are human; the divine attribute of patience helps us overcome these mistakes. It also helps us all to learn from our own mistakes. The struggles in life would be far worse if strangers didn't also have patience. I am grateful to all who've shown such powerful patience with my foibles even though they might not even know who I am.

No comments: