Friday, December 26, 2008

I truly enjoyed the Winter Concert the high school choir put on last Thursday night. Many times parents will run to these things out of obligation since their children are performing. To be totally forthcoming, since I paid for admission, it would have been nice to have enjoyed the whole show and not suffer through the bad just to get to the good.

Anyway, one of the pieces performed by the Chamber Choir was this, the Twelve Days After Christmas. I thought it was terribly funny. Funny enough to lead me to share it here. The one spoken part about keeping a drummer was my daughter's.

12 Days After Christmas (Frederick Silver)
(Not sung to the same tune as the other song!)


The first day after Christmas, my true love and I had a fight.
And so I chopped the pear tree down and burned it just for spite.
Then, with a single cartridge, I shot that blasted partridge,
That my true love, my true love gave to me.

The second day after Christmas, I pulled on the old rubber gloves
And very gently wrung the necks of both the turtle doves,
My true love, my true love, my true love gave to me.

The third day after Christmas, my mother caught the croup;
I had to use the three French hens to make some chicken soup.
The four calling birds were a big mistake,
For their language was obscene.
The five gold rings were completely fake
And they turned my fingers green.

The sixth day after Christmas, the six laying geese wouldn't lay:
I gave the whole darn gaggle to the ASPCA.

On the seventh day what a mess I found:
All seven of the swimming swans had drowned,
My true love, my true love, my true love gave to me.

The eighth day after Christmas, before they could suspect,
I bundled up the . . .
Eight maids a-milking,
Nine pipers piping,
Ten ladies dancing,
'Leven lords a-leaping,
Twelve drummers drumming
(spoken) Well, actually I kept one of the drummers.

And sent them back collect.
I wrote my true love, "We are through, love"
And I said in so many words,
"Furthermore your Christmas gifts were for the birds!"
(echo of "four calling birds, three french hens, two turtle doves
and a partridge in a pear tree.")

No comments: