Monday, December 22, 2008

A Christmas Carol


I'm almost embarrassed to admit that my most favorite of Christmas stories has absolutely nothing to do with the true meaning of Christmas - well, there is absolutely no mention of the birth of our Savior within its pages.

Alas, it is still one of my favorites. I look forward to seeing the silver screen adaptation each year, though I do not care for some of the more modern derivatives. In changing, or updating this classic tale, it loses some of its meaning.

It is time to read through the story again. Only 88 pages in the original publication, it is a short story that is long on insight into what lives we should lead and what could happen when we focus our attentions on the wrong goals.

1 comment:

The Accounting Man said...

It is my favorite, too. The best rendition I ever saw was done live by Patrick Stewart. He read the book like a script and played all the parts. The stage was sparse and the props were few, but I could see everything he read just by how he spoke it. Absolutely marvelous.