Sunday, October 10, 2010

Make No Excuses


Alma counseled his son Corianton,  “And now, my son, I desire that ye should let these things trouble you no more, and only let your sins trouble you, with that trouble which shall bring you down unto repentance.

“O my son, I desire that ye should deny the justice of God no more. Do not endeavor to excuse yourself in the least point because of your sins, by denying the justice of God; but do you let the justice of God, and his mercy, and his long-suffering have full sway in your heart; and let it bring you down to the dust in humility.” (Alma 42:23-30)

Let our sins harrow us to the point of repentance. That is the message Alma was teaching his son. When we work to hide from our sins or cover them up, we’ll not progress or grow. It is only after recognizing that we have sinned that we can start on the path that returns us to a place closer to our Heavenly Father.

I wonder how much I have hindered myself by making excuses for my shortcomings. How much more is there that I haven’t attained for the excuse that I am but a weak man! It is the basics that I must apply to my life – prayer, study, service, family. 

No comments: