Monday, January 05, 2009

Why so much negativity

There are many perspectives on the year that just passed. It seems there is a "year in review" just about everywhere you look. Looking at 2008, much was good but that seems to be overshadowed by a few very strong negatives. It is interesting how a few negatives can seem so great as to engulf other aspects, minimizing what might have been considered an incredible year. Certainly, we can objectively review our past without having to resort to spin as our only solution for being positive.

Interesting how much effort must be exerted just to look past the negative to see the great things in life. Positive attitudes are harder to foster than the onslaught of negativity. Spiro Agnew commented about the press as "nattering nabobs of negativity." This pervasive nature of negativity, however, is not relegated solely to the press. Human nature seems to insist on the unfavorable and disadvantaged.

One of my favorite end-of-the-year lists is the 50 best inventions. Not overly simple, not a negative spin and not artificially positive either. This is a nice list of mostly scientific breakthroughs that have the potential of improving our lives in some way. Not everything will improve everyone's life. For instance, the Speedo LZR Racer. That is not going to improve my life. In fact, it will be a cold day in a very hot place before I decide to even try one of these things on. It did help Mr. Phelps in his golden persuit.

The world called for change. I opposed much of what the majority has embraced. I don't think the changes they seek are for the better. I am willing to admit that I'll gain personally from some of these things if they are fully implemented. Everyone will feel the benefits of some of these programs. I will refrain from commenting further.

So, 2008 is over and 2009 is looming over us like a great promise. Will some of the difficulties we've faced in 2008 persist? They certainly will. Will some of the exceptional persist as well. Yes. I think we'd benefit grandly from a stronger focus on those things that are most beneficial to everyone rather than centering our thoughts on the negative.

A couple days ago, I suggested I am going to be smiling more. I haven't done as well as I had hoped. I'm going to continue my efforts toward the positive. SMILE!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You keep on smiling ... while Rome burns. (grin)

necrodancer said...

I can rant. I can send letters to my congressman. I can send the same letters to my senators.

One thing I cannot do is change what these people will do with our money. There is a group of people who fundamentally believe government is good. These people believe the best course to meeting the needs of the people is through the government. These people are in power. I can do nothing about this. I can let it increase my blood pressure or I can sit here and smile, worrying about those things over which I have some semblance of control.

. . . SMILE . . .

Th. said...

.

I agree. I liked 2008.