Monday, January 12, 2009

OCD? Naw . . .

Motivated by comments here, I got thinking about a few aspects of my life that might not be so clearly normal. I'd think someone who doesn't have at least one obsessive compulsive driven trait would be less than human. It could be argued that quirks make a person real. Little and big, they are all a part of the whole and each is as important as the others. You know, things like keeping the food on your plate from touching other food. Segregated food is just the right way to do it. I stopped buying delivery from a local Thai restaurant because they would put the salad in the same container as the Basil Chicken. I'd have steamed lettuce to go with my meal. Although the salad had what I would assume was a Thai salad dressing, it just was not the way I liked my salad. I like it chillin'. So by all accounts and the truth is the divided plate in our cupboard belongs to my oldest daughter - it isn't mine.

Appropriately, this is not simply about food. Ah, but most of those things I need to have a certain way are centered around food. I don't consider myself particularly picky. I like most food but only if it is prepared properly. I like cheese and I like hamburgers but you'll hardly ever find me eating a cheeseburger. You'll never see me willingly eat a piece of that plastic most restaurants try to pass as cheese, that is certain.

I'm very particular about how my books are handled. Being an avid reader I have a hard time waiting for books to be released in paperback. However, when I have a paperback book, I will not open the book up far enough to break the spine. When I loan the book to others, I explain to them very carefully how to hold the book so as to not break the spine or leave any kind of crease. Yes, I am extremely particular about this.

Just a few things that strike my fancy. I have other things. I don't like my flatware to touch the tables at restaurants. I won't touch the door handle of a public bathroom. The little bowl of candy that sometimes sits at the maitre d' station - I won't eat those.

5 comments:

Th. said...

.

I agree. I think OCD is part of the human condition. The trick is not letting it control your life.

necrodancer said...

There you are right. When people speak of pet peeves as if these irritations were beyond their control, I can hardly constrain myself. There is a reason we call them pets. Like a pet, we nurture emotions, even those that may not be outwardly pleasurable. It is when we facilitate those we should not that they become stronger.

Craig F said...

Ha! I forgot that you don't like cheeseburgers and that your food must be kept from touching!

I don't break book spines, either. That's sacrelige. Books are holy things.

I can understand your flatware thing--those tables can be nasty. They should sit on napkins. Knowing how you are about your floors, this does not surprise me about you.

I also do not touch the door handles in public bathrooms with my palms or fingers. I'll use my elbow, or, if it's a lever-type handle, I'll make a fist and use the bottom of my fist to push down on it. If it's a standard knob and I'm forced to touch it with my fingers and palm, when I get outside the bathroom, I'll lick my hand clean.

And stay away from those candies. Yummy as they are, I once heard that a study showed that like 80% of them have traces of urine on them.

PS: BTW, I had to sound out "matradee" several times to get what you were saying! It's French--maitre d', as in maitre d'hotel, as in "master of the hotel." I don't even like the spelling out of 'emcee' for MC, which stands for Master of Ceremonies. Just thought you'd like to know.

PPS: I'm assuming it was a typo, but you said you were an "advid reader." Or is it possible that you must take an over the counter ibuprofen product to combat headaches whilst looking at small type?

Phil's Grill said...

I saw myself in your post. As far as door handles in bathrooms if I am unable to push it open with my hip then I use a paper towel to open the door. Silverware on the restaurant table egads! I've seen some of the wiping clothes used to wipe down the tables between customers. I wouldn't let my dog eat off their tables. Thanks for visiting the grilling site and your assessment. I will get the recommendations to Phil.
Betty

necrodancer said...

The beauty of the blog, I can go back and fix my mistakes... "Advid" was a serious mistake but no more than a typo. I need to take the time to spell check, I guess. As for maitre d'; I knew I had spelled the darn thing incorrectly but was suffering from a case of vacuous brain syndrome. To top it all off, my quick efforts to check online provided nothing of consequence.I appreciate the guidance though.

I laughed out loud upon reading your remarks. Loud enough to make the family want to know what was so funny.