Monday, March 28, 2005

What were they thinking?

Congress, why do you believe you have the right to interfere? What is your motivation?

Apparently, I don’t seem to understand the manner in which the constitution provides for checks and balances between the different branches of the government, nor do I understand the rights of states to govern. The actions of the House of Representative, the Republican Party in particular, has left me awe-struck!

As a life-long Republican, I cannot remember when I’ve felt such betrayal or when I’ve sided with the Democrats on an issue. We preach small federal government. We believe in states’ rights. We complain about how the Democratic Party wishes to meddle too much in the daily affairs of the people, yet here we are making a local issue, which should be settled by local courts, a national issue. Not only did congress usurp the constitutional powers of the judiciary branch but they also trampled the rights of the states to govern.

Why did the Republican Party have to take this action? The political gain in Florida certainly cannot outweigh the long-term consequences.

I am appalled.

No comments: