Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Svithing, n.


blend of seven and tithe
  1. A Sunday blog post of a religious nature.
  2. Any post on a religious (usu. [Latter-Day Saint]) theme appearing on a personal blog whose subject matter is generally secular.

svithe, v.

  1. To write or post a svithe.

-svithe, suffix

  1. Combines with a proper name. Indicates a svithe by that person.


I have come across terminology for something I hadn't consciously put into practice but that has been a pattern for how I have gone about my blogging. I happened across this new expression as I followed Th.'s link to his blogs. One of these blogs is The Weekly Svithe. I was impressed.

My original intent when I created this blog was just to have a place to share my thoughts and express my feelings. I hoped as well that others would read my posts and respond and maybe even have conversations. I did not intend to have any central theme beyond that. It is obvious at the random nature of the posts that I have continued along those lines off and on over the past few years.

As it turns out, I have a tendency to post on gospel as well as other topics that are meaningful to me at the time I post. I am not totally certain what the ratio is; however, the concept of svithing impressed me. Traditionally, my blogging efforts have not been carried out on the Sabbath since those days are generally focused on other things. I may start posting on Sundays in a sort of homage to the Svithe.

In any case, I like the idea. There will be a few more Necrosvithes down the road. This I am certain. Do you think the Svithe is a good idea? Let me know, please.

5 comments:

Craig F said...

You could condense your past Sunday School lessons and leave them here as your svithes!

necrodancer said...

That is an excellent idea for an easy source for my Sunday posts. That would definitely reduce any intrusion such an effort might have on my other activities.

Thanks, Craig!

reb said...

I think svithing is a great idea, though, like you, I don't usually sit in front of the computer on Sundays. Th. has a link on the svithe blog for all fellow svithers, if you do go down that road make sure you are included.

necrodancer said...

Fully utilizing the scheduling option, one could arrange Friday for a post to be made public Sunday morning. I guess that would work if I wished to svithe and also have that post show on Sunday without actually sitting at the computer on Sunday.

Th. said...

.

That's what I often do. (And, it goes without saying, I think svithing is a good idea.) I'm also interested in seeing other people's Sunday School lessons (and like items).

And 'Necrosvithe' certainly has the ring of . . . mortality? about it, doesn't it?