Friday, July 11, 2008

Response to a Dear Friend . . .

In another forum, a close friend was lamenting that "life seems to be punishing" him for some reason. The following is my original response. I didn't, however, leave it posted at that forum.

I can certainly see how one could feel that life is punishing. I have felt and every once in a while I continue to feel something along those lines. I've done more thinking on this subject over the past few years than I care to admit. I have been wondering what has been going on or more appropriately what I could do to regain even a portion of the "easy life" I enjoyed just a couple years ago. I'm not wanting to sound like a whiner but there are times I want to just scream for the punishment to end...

To that end, I have to take a step back. I have to consider everything and try to place things into perspective. I truly believe that choices I make can and do affect the direction my life will go. Sadly, many of these choices aren't made with as much forethought as they should be. Interestingly, a lot of choices we make do not seem like choices until it is too late. I think this is why we try to teach our children to predetermine what they will do in given situations so the choices are already made when the time to act comes.

Anyway, one choice we make daily determines our perspective. If we are bogged down in worry and concern, many times that will affect our decision making ability in a poor way. If, however, we try to change our perspective, looking at things from a more disconnected place sometimes we'll make better decisions that will improve our lives.

“If you will call your troubles experiences, and remember that every experience develops some latent force within you, you will grow vigorous and happy, however adverse your circumstances may seem to be.” ~ John Heywood

I don't know. It is far too early in the morning for me to be making any sense anyway.

I have some things that need to be addressed at the office this weekend and next since next Friday is the last day of operations here. A week from Monday I'll be in my new office, working in a new position and those people who are currently working for me will be working for someone else. I'll have an additional 45 minutes added to my commute. . . As it is, I am not eating dinner until 8 o'clock most nights. . . Anyway, at least I still have a job, right??!!!

No comments: